Excitement of Science 2009

A project of Rotary International in Great Britain & Ireland in partnership with the Royal Institution of Great Britain

You are not connected. Please login or register

Higgs Boson

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Higgs Boson on Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:55 am

Admin

Admin
Well, here's something else to stimulate the discussion.

What is the Higgs boson all about and who will win the race to observe it; CERN's team with the Large Hadron Collider (not now expected to go back on line until September) or the USA's Fermilab in Illinois?

View user profile http://excitementofscience.forumotion.com

2 Re: Higgs Boson on Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:02 am

I hate to say it, but if we dont find it at cern (europe will find it first if its there) then it wont be down to lack of knowledge or facilities, but because were heading down the wrong route.
In short, i dont think there is such thing....
Innocent til proven guilty =)

View user profile

3 Higgs Bosson on Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:13 pm

Now the Higgs Bosson is physics which to be honest i stuggle to understand, I can learn paragraphs on it, but i stuggle to actually "get it" and undertand it, however i feel I'm not alone, and think i get the fundamentals of it. The Higgs bosson is a very heavy particle which has a lot of mass and thus is composed of a lot of energy, the only time energies like this last existed naturally where 13.7 billion years ago at the time of the big bang. Its these conditions that modern "super" colliders are trying/aiming to re-create. I use the term super colliders because it take a very big accelerator to create a lot of energy. Now the Higgs itself is thought to be a nutral particle with no spin and its own antipaticle. The Higgs creates a field, when matter passes through the field it distorts the field, gathers momentum, and gathers mass, and becomes a heavier particle. The field is essentially a lattice of higgs paticles. As i said earlier thats roughly where i'm at understanding how the higgs mechanism actually works. I know the reason they dont exist now is it decays, because its very heavy, and thus naturally unstable. The LHC may create it but only for a short time, thats what CMS, and ATLAS, 2 detectors on the LHC, are suppose to do, quickly detect and see of our "standard model", is correct and the higgs exists.
J Gannon, 16, QKS, Kendal

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum