Excitement of Science 2009
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Excitement of Science 2009

A project of Rotary International in Great Britain & Ireland in partnership with the Royal Institution of Great Britain

You are not connected. Please login or register

The EoS Blog Has Changed. Welcome to the New EoS Forum!

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Admin

Admin

This new EoS Forum has much greater functionality and Replaces the EoS Blog. The Forum also more correctly describes its purpose. To take part, you will need to register. The normal common sense rules of participation continue to apply.

For continuity, the posts from the old EoS Blog are attached below. I hope you enjoy the new Forum.

markwrote:
No, i think that its a good idea, its just that our school has banned access to any msn related page. The idea for a forum is a good idea, but yeah i think it would be better if we could view comments directly on the EoS website. Hope thats not causing any problems...
2 days ago | Delete

EoS Blog Shawwrote:
Mark, do you mean you would prefer to see the blog posts directly within the EoS web page, rather than just the link? I'm not sure I can do that because of the software used but I'll put some thought into it. However, more importantly, if the idea of an EoS Blog is likely to be an issue for schools, then we will have to give serious consideration as to whether it should be continued. It's sole purpose is to provide a forum for participants to discuss EoS project matters and to provide an opportunity to learn from each other's experiences. Let's see how it goes once the research phase starts, which should be imminently. Hopefully, the forum will provide a good learning environment where everyone can help each other with their research. Cheers. Mike.
3 days ago | Delete

markwrote:
Joe, you know you could have just told me that at school..
Cheers Mike, by the way, i was wondering, if its at all possible to create a similar forum on the excitement of science website, because our school doesnt let us access this blog at school, which may or may not become a slight hinderance once the research starts. Its not a huge problem, but one that came to my notice...
4 days ago | Delete

EoS Blog Shawwrote:
Thanks again to Mark and Joe for really getting involved. I won't reply on the detail of the latest posts because I want to give others a chance to get stuck in. Actually, it's really because I'm an electrical engineer and not an astronomer (but don't tell anyone!). Anyway, I agree with Mark - is there anyone else out there? Perhaps some of the schools' teaching staff could help us out as well?

Mark, nothing's been posted since Sunday 8th. The scientists are just in the process of verifying the data they're getting from the telescopes and once that's been completed, further details will be posted on the website to enable teams to start their research, which should be very soon. Cheers.
5 days ago | Delete

Joewrote:
Thats loop quantum cosmology (LQC), Quantum loop theory is the same as what i said previosuly but the universe doesnt quite shrink to a point small enough for all the 4 forces to merge into 1 super foce and contract the universe to a single point and instead the momentum and inertia of the universe continue to push it so then it reaches a minimum point then it starts to expand again. It simply shows the universe is constantly recycled, scientists like this theory because it shows that the universe does practically reach a singularity but also has always existsed and always will (which albert einstein himself prefered to think (steady state theory, the universe has always existsed)). It also is very nice to physicists because its one of a rare set of examples where Quantum mechanics and General Relativity sort of combine to form a Grand unified theory of everything (string theory is another)
5 days ago | Delete

markwrote:
Can't have just one team out of everyone commenting... come on peeps =)
I heard this question the other day, and couldn't think of anything remotely likely,
If the universe is expanding, what is it expanding into?
P.s Mike, is there any recent updates for the site that haven't been posted yet?
5 days ago | Delete

EoS Blog Shawwrote:
Thanks to both Joe and Mark for giving their views on this interesting subject. Mark, I'm afraid you've got me to blame for kicking all this off. I'm Mike Shaw and I'm one of the organisers and thought that it would be interesting to have an on-line blog for everyone to share their views and experiences about the project. I guess it will really come into its own when teams start to gather their data but in the meantime, I thought it would be interesting to post a couple of those intriguing questions which test even the best of minds! Both of you have made a great contribution, so thanks for that but I'm sure there's many others out there with views of their own to share, or perhaps even some other interesting issues to keep the debate going? We look forward to hearing from you! Mike
Feb. 9 | Delete

markwrote:
I doubt that this is accepted theory, but I think that the whole thing (big bang to possible big crunch) is part of a huge loop. One that started before we could imagine, and that the process has repeated itself possibly millions of times. I don't know how it may have started, or how it will end, but its my idea of the universe. Each time the loop starts, it happens differently, ie one time, gravity is stronger, etc etc. This sounds fairly similar to parallel universes, but instead of happening at the same time, they happen one after each other, loop after loop.
I don't know what other people think, but its what I believe until proved otherwise...
Who started this?? It was a good idea =)
Feb. 8 | Delete

Joewrote:
Different theories say different thing, the closed system theory say no and the open theory says yes. Under the principle the universe started from a single point of infine density where all matter was compressed into the size of between an atom, to a beach ball (depending on who u talk to), called a primeval atom. This primeval atom was pure energy and was the hottest thing the universe has ever seen (or ever been). This was held in place by the 4 forces that govern reality (strong and weak nuclear force, electromagnatism (all 3 governed by quantum mechanics) and gravity (theory(s) of releativity)). Then for some unknown reason gravity collapsed leading to the rapid expansion (faster than Light) of everything. The universe then cooled and lost energy forming matter (E=MC2). This shows that the universe expanded at or faster than the speed of light in defience with special relativity meaning some other type of energy known as dark energy must have accelertated this expansion. But because of all this some might say a previous universe may have existed from a previous big crunch but because the primeval atom was a singulairty then there is essentially no way of looking before the big bang, because the singularity didnt know time. infact its hard to see the first few seconds as well because generally relativity and all mathmatical models collapse. This all links into your second question because now out universe is still expanding and acelerating (no longer at such speeds) but this acceleration is still caused by this mysterious dark energy. But if all that happened 13.7 billions years ago, then there must be some kind of edge or boundray of the outer layer of the reality, at 13.7 billion light years from the centre of the universe (where ever that may be) so less than or equal to 13.7 billion light years from wherever this is being read from, almost guarenteed less than.
J Gannon, 16 years old, kendal,
Feb. 8 | Delete

No name wrote:
If the Big Bang theory of the universe is correct, what existed before the Big Bang? Does anything exist outside of our universe? Discuss.
Feb. 5 | Delete

https://excitementofscience.forumotion.com

mark

mark

Woo this is posh!! =)
Yeah this is loads better, and im reasonaably sure that we'll be able to access this at our school (cant check though because its half term!). Thanks for putting in the extra effort to get this page running.

Now all we have to do is get more people to write stuff and share their scientifically orientated minds...

Admin

Admin

Thanks Mark. Well it looks a lot better and has lots more functionality, so much so that I hardly know what I'm doing but I'm sure I'll soon get the hang of it! Having said that, I rather hope it will be other participants posting stuff to the Forum than me but I agree, we need to get more people signed-up.

You can always start off a new thread!

Cheers, Mike.

https://excitementofscience.forumotion.com

mark

mark

Tempting! =)
Ill have to consult our teams resident scientist though, because he knows far more than me...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum